(If i could go back in time and stop the AND/OR/NOT/&&/|| "aliases" from
being added to the QueryParser -- i would)

Yes, this is the cause of the confusion. Our users are accustomed to the
boolean logic syntax from a legacy search engine (also common to many other
engines). We'll have to convert them into native QueryParser syntax as
possible.

Sorry for the cross post.

Thanks,
Peter