: Do I have this right? I got bit confused at first because I assumed that the
: actual field values were being used in the computation, but you really need
: to know the unique term count in order to get the score 'right'.

you can use the actual values in FunctionQueries, except that:
  1) dates aren't numeric values that lend themselves well to functions
  2) the ReverseOrdinalValueSource comes in handy when you want the docs
with the highest value (ie: most recent date) to be "special" (ie: to plug
into your reciprical function and get the max value.

i suppose you could write a ValueSource that finds the max value of a
field and then a ValueSource that normalizes all the values of one
valuesource against the value(s) of another value source ... but no one
has done that yet (and it still wouldn't have a lot of meaning for dates)

-Hoss