Hi Xiong,

You're ranking idea sounds interesting ... are you looking into
something akin to the TrafficRank algorithm ? This is moving into the
realm of "Personalized search" or "Personalised search", something I'm
not aware of appearing on the Lucene mailing lists so far, but something
I'm quite interested in exploring.

http://www.earthskater.net/services/marketing/trafficrank-pagerank-webrank.asp

SortComparitorSource returns ScoreDocComparator which utilizes the
method below:

public int compare(ScoreDoc i, ScoreDoc j) {
if (lessthancriteria) return -1;
if (morethancriteria) return 1;
return 0;
}

Section 6.1 of 'Lucene in Action' will help you more here.

>From ScoreDoc you can access ScoreDoc.doc, lucene document id and
ScoreDoc.score, the lucene score for document.

We regularly open a new IndexReader, and before this reader replaces the
production one, we determine f(D) for all documents so that for the user
there is almost no performance issue,i.e. f(D) is cached. I suspect you
can implement something similar.

Cheers,
Dan

On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 01:50 +0000, xiong wrote:
> daniel rosher <daniel.rosher <at> hotonline.com> writes:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > This can be achieved by implementing your own implementation of the
> > SortComparitorSource interface.
> >
> > Section 6.1 of Lucene in Action will help you here.
> >
> > We currently use this method to alter the ranking of documents depending
> > on the age of the document by multiplying the current score by a cached
> > function f(D) ~ age_of_document_D, so that final score = doc.score*f(D);
> >
> > Regards,
> > Dan
> >
> Hi Dan,
>
> By implementing SortComparitorSource, did you recount all the hits scores?
> If the returned documents number is big, will it be a performance issue?
>
> Regards,
> Xiong

> <<This email has been scanned for virus and spam content>>
Daniel Rosher
Developer

d: 0207 3489 912
t: 0870 2020 121
f: 0870 2020 131
m:
http://recruiter.hotonline.com/

This message is sent in confidence for the addressee only. It may contain
privileged
information. The contents are not to be disclosed to anyone other than the
addressee.
Unauthorised recipients are requested to preserve this confidentiality and to
advise
us of any errors in transmission. Thank you.

www.blackspider.com