The Hits class is OK but can be inefficient due to re-running the query
unnecessarily.

The class below illustrates how to efficiently retrieve a particular page of
results and lends itself to webapps where you don't want to retain server side
state (i.e. a Hits object) for each client.
It would make sense to put an upper limit on the "start" parameter (as Google
etc do) to avoid consuming to much RAM per client request.

Cheers,
Mark

[Begin code]

package lucene.pagination;

import org.apache.lucene.index.Term;
import org.apache.lucene.search.HitCollector;
import org.apache.lucene.search.Query;
import org.apache.lucene.search.ScoreDoc;
import org.apache.lucene.search.TermQuery;
import org.apache.lucene.util.PriorityQueue;

/**
 * A HitCollector that retrieves a specific page of results
 * @author maharwood
 */
public class HitPageCollector extends HitCollector
{
    //Demo code showing pagination
    {
        IndexSearcher s=new IndexSearcher("/indexes/nasa");
        HitPageCollector hpc=new HitPageCollector(1,10);
        Query q=new TermQuery(new Term("contents","sea"));
        s.search(q,hpc);
        ScoreDoc[] sd = hpc.getScores();
        System.out.println("Hits "+ hpc.getStart()+" - "+ hpc.getEnd()+" of
"+hpc.getTotalAvailable());
        for (int i = 0; i < sd.length; i++)
        {
            System.out.println(sd[i].doc);
        }
        s.close();
    }

    int nDocs;
    PriorityQueue hq;
    float minScore = 0.0f;
    int totalHits = 0;
    int start;
    int maxNumHits;
    int totalInThisPage;

    public HitPageCollector(int start, int maxNumHits)
    {
        this.nDocs = start + maxNumHits;
        this.start = start;
        this.maxNumHits = maxNumHits;
        hq = new HitQueue(nDocs);
    }

    public void collect(int doc, float score)
    {
        totalHits++;
        if((hq.size()<nDocs)||(score >= minScore))
        {
            ScoreDoc scoreDoc = new ScoreDoc(doc,score);
            hq.insert(scoreDoc);              // update hit queue
            minScore = ((ScoreDoc)hq.top()).score; // reset minScore
        }
        totalInThisPage=hq.size();
    }

    public ScoreDoc[] getScores()
    {
        //just returns the number of hits required from the required start point
        /*
            So, given hits:
                1234567890
            and a start of 2 + maxNumHits of 3 should return:
                234
            or, given hits
                12
            should return
                2
            and so, on.
        */
        if (start <= 0)
        {
            throw new IllegalArgumentException("Invalid start :" + start+" -
start should be >=1");
        }
        int numReturned = Math.min(maxNumHits, (hq.size() - (start - 1)));
        if (numReturned <= 0)
        {
            return new ScoreDoc[0];
        }
        ScoreDoc[] scoreDocs = new ScoreDoc[numReturned];
        ScoreDoc scoreDoc;
        for (int i = hq.size() - 1; i >= 0; i--) // put docs in array, working
backwards from lowest count
        {
            scoreDoc = (ScoreDoc) hq.pop();
            if (i < (start - 1))
            {
                break; //off the beginning of the results array
            }
            if (i < (scoreDocs.length + (start - 1)))
            {
                scoreDocs[i - (start - 1)] = scoreDoc; //within scope of
results array
        return scoreDocs;
    }

    public int getTotalAvailable()
    {
        return totalHits;
    }

    public int getStart()
    {
        return start;
    }

    public int getEnd()
    {
        return start+totalInThisPage-1;
    }

    public class HitQueue extends PriorityQueue
    {
          public HitQueue(int size)
          {
            initialize(size);
          }
          public final boolean lessThan(Object a, Object b)
          {
            ScoreDoc hitA = (ScoreDoc)a;
            ScoreDoc hitB = (ScoreDoc)b;
            if (hitA.score == hitB.score)