On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 23:37 +0100, Justus Pendleton wrote:
> What constitutes a "proper warm up before measuring"?

The simplest way is to do a number of searches before you start
measuring. The first searches are always very slow, compared to later
searches.

If you look at http://wiki.statsbiblioteket.dk/summa/Hardware and scroll
down to the headline "Warming up" you will see a graph of response-times
for our setup (a 37GB index and logged queries). For SSDs, we reach 2/3
of peak performance after 1,000 queries. For conventional harddisks, we
need 15,000 queries. Your mileage will wary.