I am wondering whether there is an easy way to avoid duplication while
indexing, just using the index being created, without creating other data
structures.
In some cases, the incoming document list can have duplicates. For example,
when creating spell checking indexes for phrases. Each phrase is one
document. So I want to check whether the phrase is already indexed or not.

To do so, I can either create a hash map for all the indexed phrases. But
the hash map would consume a lot of memory.
A possible alternative is to search existing index. But remember the index
is being created, and not all contents are flushed to disk yet.

Is it possible to query the not-yet-closed index?

--
Chris Lu