To avoid passing all combinations to a NearSpansQuery
some non trivial changes would be needed in the spans package.

NearSpansUnOrdered (and maybe also NearSpansOrdered)
would have to be extended to provide matching Spans when
(the Spans of) not all terms/subqueries match.

Also, quite likely, it will be necessary add a float getWeight() method
to the Spans interface. This value could indicate how many
terms/subqueries actually matched, and then be used in SpanScorer
to provide a score for the matching document.
This weight value would also be useful in other cases, for
example to allow different weights in SpanTermQuery.

Regards,
Paul Elschot