I have huge lucene index. On disk it's about 24Gb.

I have a purging routine that is supposed to run and purge old docs.

There are about 650 million docs in there and through testing I have
determined that about 1/3 of these need to be purged.

During the purge, every so often it's apparently doing some flushing and
applying deletes. This causes the process to hang. I know it's not hanging,
but actually doing work because I have enabled infostream and I am getting
messages every so often (every 5 minutes).

Is there some trick (index config) I can employ to get this to work faster.

Stuart M Goldberg