On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 3:28 PM, Uwe Schindler <u...@thetaphi.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it may sound a bit stupid, but you can do the following:
>
> If you search for a docvalues (previously fieldcache) field in lucene, the
> returned TopFieldDocs contains also the field values
> that were sorted against. The ScoreDoc instances in this collection are
> actually FieldDoc instances (cast them down):
> https://lucene.apache.org/core/5_3_1/core/org/apache/lucene/search/FieldDoc.html
>
> So my suggestion would be: sort primarily against score (SortField.SCORE),
> but add a secondary sort field with the docvalues
> field you want to be part of your results. The results will be primarily
> sorted against the score so you should still get the results
> in right order, but you can have the docvalues field as part of your
> TopFieldDocs
> (https://lucene.apache.org/core/5_3_1/core/org/apache/lucene/search/TopFieldDocs.html)
>  collections after downcasting
> the ScoreDoc to Fieldoc (the sorted fields are saved as Object[] instances).
> Choose the second FieldDoc field and cast
> it to your data type.

Well, this solution was working fine for a long time, but now we have
some users crying about the additional memory usage.

We're using this sort field:

    private static final SortedNumericSortField ID_SORT_FIELD =
        new SortedNumericSortField(LuceneFields.ID.getName(),
SortField.Type.LONG);

Since the field isn't sorted anything I think I can now change it to just:

    private static final SortField ID_SORT_FIELD =
        new SortField(LuceneFields.ID.getName(), SortField.Type.LONG);

Either way it ends up creating a LongComparator, though, which seems
to be what is being complained about. The memory usage of
LongComparator seems totally fine to me and it's using what seems to
be the minimum storage for what it's doing, so it's not like it can be
improved, but maybe there is a way to make a comparator that doesn't
have to store a copy of the data in memory?

TX