Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, I really want this (for
implementing a retrieval function that extends the LMDir function).
Precisely, I want the document numbering same as that we see in
Lucene-Index-Viewers like Luke.

I am not sure what you meant by "segment offset, held by a leaf reader"..
Can you please explain a little, exactly when and what I need to do?

Many thanks.