Let me revise my question.  After reading through the source code for Lucene a
bit more, I realize that using updateDocValues isn't really an option.  This
leaves me with querying all the data, modifying each document, and replacing the
original.  Not as efficient as I was hoping for, but sufficient.
This does work for me, but with one major flaw.  Facets are lost because they
aren't loaded into the Document when I search.  Is there any way to retrieve the
existing facet fields into the document before I write it back out?