Hi Uwe

Thanks again for your feedback, I got it working now :-)

I am using a simplified version, which I will post below, such that it might help others, at least as long as this implementation makes sense.

Btw, when a new version of Lucene gets released, how do I best find out that  "Lucene95Codec" is still the most recent default codec or that there is a new default codec?

Thanks

Michael

---

@Autowired private LuceneCodecFactoryluceneCodecFactory;

IndexWriterConfig iwc =new IndexWriterConfig();
iwc.setCodec(luceneCodecFactory.getCodec());

----

package com.erkigsnek.webapp.services;

import org.apache.lucene.codecs.Codec;
import org.apache.lucene.codecs.KnnVectorsFormat;
import org.apache.lucene.codecs.KnnVectorsReader;
import org.apache.lucene.codecs.KnnVectorsWriter;
import org.apache.lucene.codecs.lucene95.Lucene95Codec;
import org.apache.lucene.codecs.lucene95.Lucene95HnswVectorsFormat;
import org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReadState;
import org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentWriteState;
import org.springframework.stereotype.Component;
import lombok.extern.slf4j.Slf4j;

import java.io.IOException;

@Slf4j @Component public class LuceneCodecFactory {

    private final int maxDimensions =16384;/** * */ public Codec getCodec() {
        //return Lucene95Codec.getDefault(); log.info("Get codec ...");
        Codec codec =new Lucene95Codec() {
            @Override public KnnVectorsFormat
getKnnVectorsFormatForField(String field) {
                var delegate =new Lucene95HnswVectorsFormat();
                log.info("Maximum Vector Dimension: " +maxDimensions);
                return new DelegatingKnnVectorsFormat(delegate,maxDimensions);
            }
        };

        return codec;

/** * This class exists because Lucene95HnswVectorsFormat's getMaxDimensions method is final and we * need to workaround that constraint to allow more than the default number of dimensions */ @Slf4j class DelegatingKnnVectorsFormatextends KnnVectorsFormat {
    private final KnnVectorsFormatdelegate;
    private final int maxDimensions;

    public DelegatingKnnVectorsFormat(KnnVectorsFormat delegate,int
maxDimensions) {
        super(delegate.getName());
        this.delegate = delegate;
        this.maxDimensions = maxDimensions;
    }

    @Override public KnnVectorsWriter fieldsWriter(SegmentWriteState
state)throws IOException {
        return delegate.fieldsWriter(state);
    }

    @Override public KnnVectorsReader fieldsReader(SegmentReadState
state)throws IOException {
        return delegate.fieldsReader(state);
    }

    @Override public int getMaxDimensions(String fieldName) {
        log.info("Maximum vector dimension: " +maxDimensions);
        return maxDimensions;