>  I noticed that on X platforms, you use software rendering
> loops for ALL cases of drawImage.

There is actually one case of X11 use for transparent GIFs since it is
easier to send over a clip for the image than to do a read/modify/write.
On Windows, all drawImage calls use software loops writing directly to
the screen.

> >For simple rendering (the APIs in the Graphics class without any use of
> >new attributes in the Graphics2D class), GDI is used to draw to the screen
> >so any card with decent GDI performance will perform as well with Java.
>
> You mentioned that on windows, you use GDI for drawImage in the simple

Sorry this wasn't clear - I am referring to rendering calls such as
drawRect and fillRect, not imaging calls like drawImage.

                                ...jim