I'm working with the graphics engine in a university project network game
and am currently using an animated MemoryImageSource to produce and
continuously update an Image from a byte array and an IndexColorModel (256
colors).

I wonder if using a BufferedImage instead of a MemoryImageSource would give
a rendering speed increase?

I'm currently using JDK 1.1/AWT, but will switch to JDK 1.2/Swing if using
a BufferedImage is faster.