Samo,

While this does not directly reply to your question please note that 8-to-1 bit
dithering is possible using Java Advanced Imaging. Sample code for dithering
using the "ErrorDiffusion" and "OrderedDither" operations is provided at

http://swjscmail1.java.sun.com/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0110&L=jai-interest&P=R28205

Note that in the example a BufferedImage could be used as the source image of
either operation.

Brian