My current redraw strategy is to iterate the linkedlist in the paint
method and pass the getBounds method of each element into the hitClip
method of the graphics object to determine if I need to draw it.

Try eliminating the hitClip call and see how things go. That method is not meant to be used to pare down rendering on a per-object basis, it is meant more for "hit testing" and also to see if a "group" of objects should be iterated or not. If you are calling it per-object then you are essentially asking each object to be rendered twice - once to determine if it will affect anything and then again to actually draw the pixels.

I would think that if you are going to to it for each and every
object, then not doing it would go faster, especially if most of
your objects end up "in view".

...jim