Phil Race wrote:

Peter,

First the delay in getting any response is because this isn't a Java2D
question so I don't
think there's a whole lot of expertise on this list in this area.

I am informed that a better place to have asked this question would have
been :

http://developers.sun.com/contact/feedback.jsp?category=j2se&mailsubject=Internationalization%20(I18N)

which I agree is obscure.

PS .. I was just informed of a Java Internationalization forum :
http://forum.java.sun.com/forum.jspa?forumID=16

that's the real best place for this question

-phil.