Worth a try. 1.6 has some Type1 hinting support that 1.5 lacked.

-phil.

Peter B. West wrote:
On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 16:06 +0000, Peter B. West wrote:
On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 09:42 +0100, Peter B. West wrote:
On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 11:16 -0700, Phil Race wrote:
Well since we don't look at the AFM file ...

-phil.

Peter B. West wrote:
Generally speaking, the logical bounds of characters in Type1 fonts
seems to be slightly smaller than the width given in the AFM file for
that font.

Phil,

Plese correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the horizontal metrics in the
AFM file simply reflect the sbw or hsbw commands that are required at
the start of each CharString? For example, when I open a .pfb file,
isolated from its .afm, in FontForge, and look at individual characters,
I get values for left side bearing and for width that are consistent
with the values in the afm file for that font. This is why I'm puzzled
by the differences in Java2D.

These difference make for great difficulties in using 2D to measure text
which will be rendered by some other renderer.

Peter

Sorry about that. Wrong button. I was going to ask if I should bug this,
but it occurs to me that I haven't tried it in 1.6. I'll do that first,
unless you tell me that nothing has changed that is likely to affect
this.

Peter