Hi Anthony,

  what OS is this?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi!
I am developing a game. So I need fast drawing of images. I draw images to
BufferStrategy. I have to use JDK5!
If I read an image from a jpg file, drawing it takes about 0 milliseconds. I
assume it is hardware accelerated. If I load the Image from a png file it takes
about 10ms to draw it. I assume it is not hardware accelerated. So how do I get
Images from png accelerated? I have read that translucent images cannot be
accelerated. So at least I want to have transparent Images accelerated.

I have tried the following to create transparent Images:

Image image = ...
BufferedImage buffimg= gc.createCompatibleImage(100, 100,Transparency.BITMASK);
Graphics2D g = img.createGraphics();
g.setComposite(AlphaComposite.Src);
g.setColor(new Color(0, 0, 0, 0));
g.fillRect(0, 0, 100, 100);

  Just FYI this fillRect is redundant - will be overwritten by
  the next drawImage call.

g.drawImage(imgage,0,0,null);

But when I draw Buffimg, it still takes to much time so I assume that
acceleration doesn't work. How do I get it right?

  You seem to be doing the right thing here. You don't create
  a buffimg on every frame I presume, or render to it on every frame
  before copying to the back-buffer?

  Another question: how large are your bitmask images? We have
  a certain limitation on the size of bitmask images we could
  accelerate.

  If you don't copy your image to the compatible image, does
  it get accelerated?

  Use -Dsun.java2d.trace=log to see what loops are being used.

  Also, a plug for the troubleshooting guide (the Java2D section):

http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/trouble/TSG-Desktop/html/java2d.html

  Thanks,
    Dmitri
  Java2D Team

Thank you!

Regards
[Message sent by forum member 'anthonywarp' (anthonywarp)]