Hello,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Thanks Chris. Is the situation similar for the DirectX pipeline on Windows (in
terms of hardware required if not performance achieved)?

 The current DirectX/Direct3D pipelines have fewer restrictions on the
hardware
 (since they don't use advanced features like shaders), so you should
be fine.

 The upcoming new Direct3D pipeline would require a DirectX 9- compatible
 board. Most of the boards sold in the last few years should be fine.
 Performance will vary, as some of the on-board chips (Intel, VIA)
 are no speed demons when it comes to 3D acceleration..

My about to be retired machine has what was the standard Dell offering when it
was purchased 4 years ago, an ATI Rage 128, which provides precisely no
acceleration at all (as far as I can see). What is worse is that it has proved
impossible to upgrade (it uses the old 1.5V AGP) to anything more recent.

 Do a favor for me: take out that Rage 128, take it outside and shoot.
Twice.
 "Rage against the Rage"

 Thanks,
   Dmitri

[Message sent by forum member 'mthornton' (mthornton)]