No, you wouldn't. It makes no difference. No one is asking *you* to
create a raster.
The implementation creates the raster in a way that is completely
transparent to your code.
Its an implementation detail of the graphics instance and its
relationship to the surface
to which you are drawing.

-phil
.
Olivier Lefevre wrote:
The "blurry" raster is solely because you tried to send a screen resolution
swing ui to the printer. ie print a lo-res image scaled up massively.
The printing rasterisation is high quality.

Yes I know but in order to send data to the printer at the printer res I
would need to implement a complement different painting path: the image
is complex enough that I cache a lot of information instead of computing
it on the fly within paintComponent. Now with a pdl path (e.g., when
saving to PDF or using the "forbidden" pdl pipeline) I can simply apply
a scaling factor and get mostly correct results (slight mismatches with
fonts at most) whereas with a raster path I'd need to keep 2 copies of
the plot around: one for for the screen and one for the printer, or else
implement 2 modes: one with caching, another without. So it's a bother.

-- O.L.