Chris pointed out that this is on Sparc, so no
  nice nvidia/ati boards there, but I agree that
  you could first try to tune your application
  with the default pipeline - it may just perform
  well enough.

  There's some information about the pipeline
  properties here:
    http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/trouble/TSG-Desktop/html/java2d.html

  But in short, you can, as Clemens suggested,
  try -Dsun.java2d.pmoffscreen=false property first
  if your app does lots of translucency/antialiasing.

  Also, try setting this env. variable (without the flag
  above):
    export J2D_PIXMAPS=shared
  More info:

http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/trouble/TSG-Desktop/html/gcghe.html#gdkug

  And make sure that you have enough shared memory
  on your system

http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/trouble/TSG-Desktop/html/gcghe.html#gdkti

  Thanks,
    Dmitri
  Java2D Team

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I would first try out how well it does on the XVR600, I guess it should be good
enough for most purposes - maybe you don't even need the OpenGL pipeline. You
could also try to set pmoffscreen if you have to render many translucent
objects, or if you do a lot of antialiasing.

As far as I know Nvidia cards are quite well supported on Solaris (Nvidia
provides X11/OpenGL solaris drivers), all in all nvidia cards are the best
consumer cards if you would like to run the OpenGL pipeline.(Don't go for they
cheapest models, 7300GT (which is a 7600) and up are ok).

lg Clemens
[Message sent by forum member 'linuxhippy' (linuxhippy)]