Hi,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi Dmitri,

The freeze was actually being caused by a concurrency issue which curiously
only showed up using VolatileImage.  So I am glad I tried it because I wouldn't
have seen the problem otherwise.

Now, having got VolatileImage to work, I find that working with a VI is much
*slower* than working with a plain BufferedImage.  I don't mean the rendering
part of it but rather the creating of subimages and then calling drawImage to
render into the VI is much slower than using a BI.  Why would this be?  The
code is identical except for using VI instead of BI.

  Could you post your code?

  Note that copying from a VolatileImage to a BufferedImage
  will be very slow, you don't want to do that on every frame.
  It is acceptable for "do a snapshot once in a while" kind
  of stuff, but not in general.

  Also, depending on what types of rendering operations you
  do BufferedImage may indeed be faster. At least until
  6uN comes out which will have better hardware acceleration.

  Thanks,
    Dmitri