> Where's the problem with java2d font rendering ?

Nothing's wrong.

CorelDraw is a word-processor and is applying kerning.

Not sure what you mean by "any other gfx program".

If you use windows notepad I see the same there in Font2DTest,
which is what I would expect since windows GDI provides
no way to request kerning.

The way to get kerning in jdk6 is to say you want it by
adding the appropriate attribute to the font :
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/awt/font/TextAttribute.html#KERNING

Its not applied by default since it
1) changes the overall text length
2) requires extra processing steps at rendering time.

-phil.

Michele Puccini wrote:
Hello all at Java2D,
please take a look at this picture: www.classx.it/public/font2dtest.jpg <http://www.classx.it/public/font2dtest.jpg> the first "LATIN" text is rendered with Java2d (1.5, 1.6, winxp) the second is rendered with CorelDraw (but I get the same result with any other gfx program). You can notice an abnormal spacing between the "A" and the "T" glyphs in the java version.
The CorelDraw version looks more correct, IMHO.
I've tested many other fonts but I always got the same results. Where's the problem with java2d font rendering ? Cheers, Mik