Hi,

I've recently started playing around with Java2D and started noticing that
neither BufferedImage nor VolatileImage objects are accelerated on my Windows
Server 2008 machine. I'm using native NVidia drivers, have DirextX 10 installed
and every native DirectX game I own works fine.

Changing the [i]sun.java2d.d3d[/i] and [i]sun.java2d.noddraw[/i] flags doesn't
change this matter. The only way I found to get the images accelerated is to
use [i]sun.java2d.opengl[/i], however, I didn't experience this to be any
faster than the software rendering I'm getting without it.

After hours of debugging and testing, I finally got the actual error message by
setting the environment variable [i]J2D_TRACE_LEVEL[/i] to 4, as suggested in
various troubleshooting threads round here.
What I get (when not using the OpenGL pipeline) is:
[code]
[I] OS Version = OS_WINSERV_2008 or newer
[E] D3DPPLM::CheckOSVersion: Windows 2000 or earlier (or a server) OS detected,
failed
[/code]

What's the reason for making the DirectX pipeline work only on non-server
Windows OS? Is there any way to get around this issue?

As I said, all other DirectX applications work (even with DirectX 10 features!).

Any suggestions or hints are highly appreciated.

-- smf68
[Message sent by forum member 'smf68' (smf68)]