Can I possibly do some solid geometry subtraction/addition/etc math on my
rounded rectangle and a large square and then use this to create the left
colored shape and draw that shape on top of my original colored rectangle?

Does anyone have experience with this?

I found a page discussing composites, and they had the following image:
    http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/GUI/java2d/Figure-5.gif

The 'source-in' result is what I think I need to figure out how to do....in
this case I would have a rounded rectangle as my source, and a square or
rectangle shape as my destination and position over the source in such a way as
to cause the intersection to give me the piece of shape that both share...the
'source-in' and then use that shape to draw on top of my original shape.
[Message sent by forum member 'zaczek' (zaczek)]