Now that the Java 7 feature set has been redefined and (provisionally
and non-bindingly) finalized (again), and my (and I think a lot of
others') favorite features are not in it, I think it's time to start
compile a wish list for Java 8 and Java 9.

Here's mine:

Java 8:

   Reified generics
   Removal of dead features (java.awt.Button, etc.)

Java 9 (or whatever Sun decides to call it, having version numbers go up):

   Closures
   Macros (the kind that's IDE friendly, not the C kind)

I believe closures needs to be on the table forever.  The moment
everyone cave in to the "Java has used up all its complexity budget"
line of thinking, Java will be dead.

I'm not saying that I disagree with the claim that "Java has used up all
its complexity budget" here.  I do not know about Java's internals to
make up my mind.  But the fact that multiple proposals (with feature
complete implementations, and specifications) exist seems to favor the
argument against that claim.

I understand that things aren't always decided on technical grounds.
Funding, competitive positioning of vendors, trends in technologies
external to Java, etc., all impact the direction of Java.

But still, the rank and file Java developers need to know Java *is
moving forward* and not *standing still*, for some definition of moving
forward.

--
Weiqi Gao
weiqi...@gmail.com