I did miss the point (or in fact the little word "not").

I think your theory is probably right, although in the absence of
arbitrary operator overloading it seems quite clear what the type of
(getOne() + "two ") is and since string concatenation is associative it
would be a valid optimization. But it requires a bit more reasoning.

Even with operator overloading the case would IMO still be clear since
the return type of getOne() is exact due to String's finalness. But
then: we are talking Java, other JVM languages might break some of these
rules.

  Peter