If you read the complete story , he also said
"Java happens to be a really good language for a broad spectrum of
topics."

- and the focus to be on the VM -
Though James Gosling may be harbouring his secret soft corners for the
language,
why should he care when he has very little or no say all together?

It is up to the community and Oracle to care about

I think I could hardly care less for the whole news..!