I've switched back to using BeyondPod with is good, I was giving PocketCasts a
go which is also excellent.  Both have speed control but via the same external
application you mention.

Both are pay, but were not excessively expensive...

--
Mark Derricutt
Sent with Sparrow (http://www.sparrowmailapp.com)