-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Darrin Porter
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 8:50 AM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Finding out column width in excel

Annette,

I am an engineer and use Excel daily (office 2003 /JFW 8).  Excel measures
everything in points (printer's points).  In JFW 8, pressing insert-f twice
quickly will describe the atributes of the active cell to you in a dialogue
box.  One of the pieces of information provided is the height and width of
the cell in points, e.g., "cell dimentions are 54 points wide by 12 points
heigh."  The number of characters you can fit in 54 points depends on the
font you have selected.

All cells in a column must be the same width.  That's why there is no way to
individually adjust the width of a cell.

It is a quirk of Excel that you can enter a column width in number of
characters instead of points  I guess this makes it easier for some people.
But, for the purposes of laying out a page, the only way you will be able to
know if everything fits widthwise is to add up the active column widths in
points.  For a typical portrait layout with 3/4-in. margins, you have a
total width of 432 points to work with.  For a landscape layout with the
same margins, you have a total of 684 points to work with.

Hope this clears things up for you.

One final note, in earlier versions of JAWS, you only need to press insert-f
once to hear the cell's attributes.

Darrin Porter
Senior Technical Engineer
TECO Ocean Shipping