Tom you are not alone.

I believe the last major Microsoft update this past March changed or disabled something in Windows that broke JAWS.

I've gone back to using Eudora Pro 7.1 due to my experiencing similar problems with Windows 10 mail. Amazing how Eudora keeps on ticking after so many years of not being updated.

Hopefully VFO is working on a fix for JAWS that will address this, and several other problems people have discussed on this list during the past few weeks.