Hi Tammy,

I have primarily used Toshiba and Dell.  Others in my house have used HP,
although not with JAWS.  In my opinion, all 3 brands have been very
reliable.  With that said, my husband had a Toshiba and it was nothing but
trouble.

I have used laptops for nearly 30 years.  None of them have had a separate
number pad from the keyboard.  With my very first laptop, I attempted to use
an external number pad, and could never find one that allowed me to execute
JAWS commands.  As a result I have learned to use the embedded number pad,
and have the JAWS Keyboard layout set to Desktop.  Sometimes this does
require interesting finger gymnastics, but it works for me.

When I'm looking for a new laptop, I look for the one that provides me with
the most up-to-date features for the lowest cost.  Yes, this probably means
that I will spend more money than I want, but I've always gotten 5 plus
years out of my laptops.  I also look for the lightest weight one with a
keyboard that feels right under my fingers, i.e. shape and size of the keys,
spacing between keys, and firmness when activating.  Finally, battery life
is a factor as well.

With my current Toshiba dinosaur, I've gotten spoiled by a button between
the keyboard and the mouse that allows me to turn the mouse on and off as
needed.  My work Dell laptop requires me to use a keyboard command to turn
the mouse pad on and off, and that is not so bad.  As much as I would love
to say that I can tackle everything and anything on my computer without some
sighted help here and there, that is just not the case.  So being able to
turn the mouse on and off as needed is very convenient.

Many many years ago I bought one of my computers from MicroCenter and their
service was great.  They removed all of the junk and even installed JAWS for
me.  Another family member went there a number of years later and was not
happy with the service.  The last time I checked, their prices were higher
than Best Buy where I've bought the past 2 computers over the past 11 years.
Also with the last 2 purchases, I used the Dell and the Toshiba technical
support.  Both were very good at that time.  The Toshiba tech support
figured out how to turn off the "touch sensitive control panel so that I
could not accidently turn things on and off.  Now with the Microsoft
Disability Support line, you have another source for help.  Although
sometimes having all of these support options can get you in a position
where they each point the finger at the other one to address the problem.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.  My current Toshiba is now
six and a half years old, so I'm sure a replacement is not too far around
the corner.

Annette