It sounds to me as if much depends on the particular synthesizer one's using, so I'm not even sure they should be calling it the JAWS Dictionery! Also, capitalising syllables helps at times, spaces not always necessary in words. There's a county Kildare (but, using Eloquence, that should be pronounced KilDare), in Ireland. One synth I used makes a bad job of BBC when used with JAWS, nearly always emphasizing the second syllable. So then I had to change it to BBbe Sea. - (Actually, with that synth, Bebe Sea) for more comfortable listening.

-----Original Message----- From: Adrian Spratt
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2017 10:58 PM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Pronunciation dictionary

A two-part answer.

First, I just plugged "du luth" into the replacement field of my JAWS dictionary, and it pronounced the city's name correctly, at least for my synthesizer.

Second, I've found no consistency in how the JAWS dictionary processes the emphasis of syllables. Finding a solution in each case depends on trial and error and experience. Even then, sometimes I can find no good solution.