Perhaps there were changes in the Freedb server which this program uses to
get CD metadata automatically from the Internet, so in case you haven't do
so, I suggest you to install the latest version of the program.
Regarding where ripped files are saved, although by default files should be
saved in standard Music folder, you can check it and eventually modify the
path in Preferences. Moreover, you can also manually set the directory and
file name scheme based on the different metadata; it is well documented in
the dialog box.