Two observations.
First, this was by far the fastest installation of a new JAWS version that I've
ever experienced.
Second, I selected the "merge" option during the process. After rebooting to
finish the process, JAWS came up with several problems. One was reversion to
Eloquence instead of  my preferred synthesizer. Another was that JAWS wasn't in
my system tray, even though that selection was checked in the JAWS "Basics"
dialog. However, a second reboot appears to have fixed both problems.