One more thing for the record...
I have a hot key asigned for his jaws and trying that still brought up no speech.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Victor" <victor.gouv...@rogers.com>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2009 8:33 PM
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] No Speech or Windows Sounds

Hi Patricia,

do you get windows sounds, and/or Narrator to come up when you activate it?

If you do, this may be a Jaws issue, and not necessarily a system volume
problem like that other person suggested.

If you aren't getting any sound of any kind, then it may be the volume is
set to low, or the mute is on, in which case, you may be able to do the
following:

press insert+F11 to bring up the system tray.  You'll have to trust that
it's there and hope for the best.  Smile.

Once you do this, press the letter V and it should take you straight to the volume icon. This is assuming, of course, that the Volume icon is the only
icon there starting with the letter V.  If you absolutely know that it is
not, then we may have a bit of trouble here.

Suffice it to say, I don't think it hurts to try this anyway.

Once you've pressed the letter V, tab twice to the left single click button
and press the spacebar.  You may have to wait a few seconds, as the Master
Volume control may not pop up right away.

Doing this will bring up only the slider and mute button for the master
volume, so, after you've waited a couple of seconds, press the home key, and this will raise your volume to 100%. If this still doesn't bring any sound
back to your computer, tab once and press the spacebar, as you will be on
the mute checkbox, and if it's checked, this will bring back the sound.

Once you've done all of this, and you still don't have any sound, I'm afraid you have to start looking in a different place for your solution, possibly a loos connection on the back of your computer, make sure the power button on
the speakers are turned on and the volume of the speakers are turned up
enough to hear it's sound, and also check to see if the power cord is
plugged in to the electrical outlet where you have it plugged in.

Other than that, you may have to get someone sighted to look at the sound
card properties in the device manager and see if there are any yellow marks
beside the sound card.

If there are, you may have to go in and check out it's settings and make
sure it's enabled.

Let us know how you do.

Victor
Co-moderator
Blind Movie Buffs List
Guidedogs List

Visit the JAWS Users List home page at:
http://www.jaws-users.com
Visit the Blind Computing home page at:
http://www.blind-computing.com
Address for the list archives:
To post to this group, send email to
jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
jaws-users-list-le...@jaws-users.com
For help from Mailman with your account Put the word help in the subject or body of a blank message to:
jaws-users-list-requ...@jaws-users.com
jaws-users-list-ow...@jaws-users.com
If you wish to join the Blind Computing list send a blank email to the following address: blind-computing-j...@jaws-users.com