To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2009 4:18 PM
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Scanner recommendations

Unfortunately, that is an incorrect statement. Although, at one time, the Cannon scanners were recommended as the most compatible for use with Open Book and other scanning software, it is becoming more and more difficult to locate a Cannon scanner which is only that, a scanner. Cannon has decided to market equipment which serves many purposes such as one of their best selling models which is a scanner, a fax machine and a telephone answering device. The more complex you get with these devices, the less likely you will find one which is compatible with your software. In a recent survey which occurred in 2007, Hewlett Packard outsold Cannon in basic scanners at the ratio of about 3 to 1. I agree with you that at one time Cannon made fine scanners but these days, they just aren't interested in the simple scanner market. There just isn't enough money in it any more. The most wonderful thing about current versions of Open Book is that during the setup process, the software will go out onto the web and locate drivers which it will then use to operate smoothly. Unfortunately, the last time I helped a friend set up his Open Book, the software could not locate the proper drivers and we had to find them on the scanner's software disk.

In answer to your question, there are many manufacturers who make scanners but relatively few of them are completely compatible with Open Book unless you can load the drivers and they are recognized. In my opinion, based on 20 years of experience, I recommend Hewlett Packard as the most successful place to begin when trying to find a scanner which functions happily with Open Book or with Kurzweil.

If you look hard enough, you might be able to find one of the simpler Cannon scanners on line but I doubt sincerely that you would find one in a store.

John Justice
----- Original Message ----- From: "Simon" <simonwo...@sympatico.ca>