Thanks so much. I am copying rather than cutting, so I'll go ahead and just
move them.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Van Der Walt Riana" <rivanderw...@justice.gov.za>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Monday, May 25, 2009 4:55 AM
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] moving large folders

Hello Vicky,

If you don't already have another backup of the file you want to move,
to copy and paste is definitely safer with such large folders, but it
takes longer than to cut and paste.

Also, I don't know whether jaws behaves differently in different
versions or on different computers, but if I send to via the
applications menu, I don't get the default 5 seconds progress report on
the folder or folders being copied than one gets when copying it to the
clipboard and pasting it on the relevant drive.
This is with jaws 10 on a notebook.

I had an external hard drive crash in December while copying several
folders together, amounting to more than 4 gig, from one USB hard drive
to a brand new Seagate 1.5 terabyte USB external hard drive.  Something
went wrong with the new drive and nothing already copied to it could be
salvaged.  It was under guarantee, but even the folders I've previously
copied could not be accessed and I lost about 200 gig's data.

I was extremely glad that I didn't cut it then, as everything remained
in tact on the drive from which I was copying.

But even despite several reboots, an error remained being displayed on
my notebook, until I disconnected the faulty drive and rebooted  the
notebook again.

Regards

Riana