When JAWS will not read

I frequently have problems with JAWS not speaking portions of a word or
line, entire lines, and multiple lines when in MS-Word and composing an
e-mail in Outlook.  I think it is a video conflict with JAWS and the
computer.  Here is what I do when I encounter these problems.  I start with
the first item on the below list, and if that does not fix the problem I
move on down the list.

I have a theory that the mouse is some how interfering with the info JAWS is
trying to retrieve to read.  So I repeatedly move the mouse in a upward or
downward direction to move it off of the area where I am trying to work.  Of
course I haven't an idea where the mouse is moving to, but my goal is to
move it to the top or bottom of the screen.  My thought is that there is
less chance that it will interfere with what I am doing.

Use Insert+ESC to refresh the screen.

Select the word, phrase, line, paragraph that you are having trouble reading
Then use Insert+ESC to try refreshing the screen.

Use Alt+Tab to move away from the program and then move back to the program.

Insert+F4 to unload JAWS, and then Control+Alt+J to reload it.  Before
doing this, make sure the version of JAWS that you are using has the
Control+Alt+J short cut set up.

Close the document that you are working on and then re-open it.

Exit out of the program and then reload it.

If all of these tricks fail, give up on it for now and come back later,
after a system reboot.

Font size can also effect how JAWS reads.  I have found that Arial 12 works
well.

Also check your view.  I prefer to use "Print Layout" in MS-Word in either
Full-page or Page width view.
This is not the recommended view from FS.  I do this because at work we deal
with a lot of text formatting and my co-workers find "Normal layout" to be a
problem.

HTH,
Annette