By secure ftp servers, are you just talking about username and password
or something more like gpg keys?  The Windows Explorer map wizard has a
place to provide a username during the set-up.  The first time the drive
letter is accessed it asks for the password.  This dialog also has a
checkbox for Windows to remember the password.

Although convenient and free, this method is very slow performing
transfers.  I have also noticed if I upload files to my web server, it
may take hours for it to be viewed by Internet Explorer!

I primarily use the free filezilla ftp client.  The uploads are faster
and and can be viewed almost instantly.

*Don Marang*
Vinux Package Development Coordinator - vinuxproject.org
<http://www.vinuxproject.org/>