I've seen windows not make a sound if it rebooted after installing an update. There have been several windows 7 updates needing reboots lately, at least here.

---
Blogging at tech-mysteries.blogspot.com

On 12/16/2013 08:21, Trish wrote:
I just thought of something, this is like sometimes when window's update has
installed updates and you reboot, then sometimes Jaws comes up first louder
than norm, then it seems to fade and the windows sounds comes on, and jaws
again at it's normal pitch.
However, this was not generating the windows sound, but jaws was doing his
thing, that kind of puzzled me.