Hi users. I have come across these terms time and time again since beginning using JAWS back in the late 90's. I've never really been able to comprehend what they mean. Can someone please explain to me how they work and why JAWS can or can't interact with them? Can you also explain where these bars appear on the screen? I'm not sure if this makes sense but if I do not have a hard copy page of tactile information in front of me, I can only visualize linearly, either to the right and left or to the top and bottom, but not both at the same time. That's why thinking in columns is more difficult. Also, if I'm using the tab key or the alt tab, I can only visualize what I'm on by what it's been described as, unless I've been told where it is. I'm saying this because some blind people, more-so, it seems, those who have lost their sight later in life, have more ability to visualize the outlay on a computer screen. Are these bars at the top of the screen and if so, whereabouts on the top? Are they necessary for JAWS users, particularly toolbars. I can handle the taskbar but toolbars are annoying.

Many thanks in advance.

Michele