Hi Kate,
I'll answer each question in the sequence you provided.

I need to know how to save the new version to my desktop and how to create a
hot key for it.
If you install Jaws 16 on your computer, it will automatically create a
desktop icon for you. Freedom Scientific assumes that you will want to use
the new software right away.

Can I leave the old version of JAWS on the desktop?
Yes, you can.  They will be marked Jaws 13 and Jaws 16.

Also will my computer start up each time with the new version of JAWS?
It will if you set it up that way.
After installing Jaws 16, presss INSERT+J to reach the Jaws window.  You
will be presented with a menu.  If you press ALT+O  you'll be taken to the
Options menu.  The first choice in that menu is Basics. The title is
followed by three dots.  That means that you have to press Enter to open the
menu.
Within that menu, is a submenu called Automatically Start Jaws. Activate it
by pressin your spacebar.  The first option is to start Jaws automatically.
That is a check box and you press the spacebar to check it.
There are other options as well.  If you are the only one who uses Jaws on
your computer, choose Start Jaws for All Users.  Some of these settings are
already chosen. Jaws 13 will still be on your system but 16 will now start
automatically.  Jaws takes up quite a bit of space on your hard drive, Kate.
But I certainly do understand that you might want to return to Jaws 13 until
you are completely familiar with version 16.

Are there any major changes from JAWS 13 TO 16?
Yes there are.  The best way to learn about the new features and
capabilities would be to read the What's New In Jaws 16 choice in your Help
menu.  Jaws 16 comes with a full set of instruction books, also available in
the Help menu.  Some of them are Daisy books which will speak automatically.
To access the Jaws Help menu in version 16, Press INSERT+J  to reach the
Jaws window.
Press alt+h   to access the Help menu and use your up and down arrows to
choose the topic you'd like to hear.  If you press Enter while focused on
one of those options, the reader will start automatically.  If you are
unfamiliar with a Daisy player, it works like Windows Media Player.  You can
stop the reading by pressing CONTROL+p. That command also starts the reading
again.  To shut down and close the reader, press CONTROL+S.
If you need more help with the reader, there's a complete manual describing
how to use it in the Help menu.

JOHN JUSTICE
PERSONAL E-MAIL: john_just...@verizon.net

---