You did not mention which browser and version of that browser, the two of you are using. My first guess is that you are using two different browsers. My guess is that one of you is using Firefox and the other IE.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Adrian Spratt" <adr...@adrianspratt.com>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 19, 2016 8:26 AM
Subject: [JAWS-Users] A Website inconsistency

Can anyone suggest why two of us with similar systems are getting different results on the same website? Unfortunately, I can't give a link because the company involved is working with us to fix accessibility issues. The company recently sent us a link to a new page where they believe they have made their video player's controls accessible. The webpage works for my colleague, but not well for me. Here are some details.

We both have Win7 machines, and I believe my colleague's is 64-bit like mine. While he uses JAWS 16 only, I get the same results whether I use 16 or 17.

When you click on this webpage, the video starts almost immediately. No problem there. But we want access to the pause button because the videos are quite long. In the past, neither of us was able to access this button. On the new page, my colleague can do so easily, while I have to play some non-intuitive tricks to get there. Once again, more details.

My colleague can get to this button with the quick navigation key f and by arrowing around. (I'm not clear if "b" works for him.) In my case, no quick navigation keys land on the button, and arrowing down the page doesn't get JAWS to verbalize it.

However, I discovered by chance that if I have focus on a certain link near the bottom of the page and shift-tab once, the pause button suddenly appears. Once I've done that, the pause button appears when I arrow around. However, the quick navigation keys still don't locate it. for the record, once JAWS found the pause button, it worked as expected.

One more note. After I close the window and reopen it, the pause button vanishes. I have to go through the same procedure to get it to show up.

When a button is this hard to find, and when finding it involves such a random process, I don't consider it accessible. However, it is accessible on my colleague's system.

Any ideas why the inconsistency?