The "link to previous" button that unlinks sections is in the Navigation group
of the Design tab when you're in the footer field. It's straight after
"previous" and "next" in the tab sequence. JAWS reads it correctly and
indicates whether it is checked.

I think you probably have corrupt files somewhere on your system, or an
outdated version of Microsoft Word 2016. If you don't have any luck in
tracking down the issue, try contacting whoever can provide you with either
Microsoft  technical support or JAWS technical support.