Good afternoon Jaws users list. I figured it was about time I got off my
butt and sent in a short lesson.

The Windows key, your best friend.

Last year I did a short lesson on the application key, "The application key
your best friend".

Now let us take a short look at the Windows key, your best friend.

I will point out several of my favorite, and most used windows key
keystrokes followed by the Microsoft support, complete list of windows key,
keystrokes.

**First of all pressing the windows key will open or close the start search
edit box.

As you begin typing, a list of items is automatically populated for you in
the search edit box.

The more letters you type, the populated items will change.

Use the up or down arrow keys, to highlight the populated items you are
searching for.

You can also see web results right here in the search edit box.

Press enter on the item you wish to open.

**Windows key+x, Opens a W-10 context menu, with 17 items.

Programs and features is the first item, desktop is the last item in the
list.

Just press enter to lonch any selected item.

**Windows key+e, Opens file explorer, quick access.

Please listen to my audio lesson called, "Pinning items 1 quick access".

When I press, Windows key+e, I am placed into a list of 8 items that I have
pinned to my quick access shortcut list.

Use either your arrow keys, or first letter navigation to quickly highlight
the item you wish to open.

For example, pressing the letter j, will highlight my personal users folder.

If I press enter, I will see the list of all my personal users folders, such
as documents, music, downloads, and so on.

When I am in this list, of my users folders, I can use first letter
navigation to select a folder, pressing enter on any selected folder will
open that folder.

Pressing the back space key will take me back to this list of my users
folders, very easy and handy way to jump between your users folders.

**Windows key+i, opens the settings area search edit box.

You are placed in the search edit box of the settings area.

For example, typing defender and pressing enter, tab one time, will open a
list of two items.

The first item is windows defender, press enter to open the windows defender
window.

The quick scan radio button is already selected for you, just tab to, scan
now, press enter, your scan will take just a minute or two to finish.

Jaws will say, windows defender has finished the scan, followed by, the date
and the status of the scan, for example, no threats were found on your
computer

The second item in the list is, Scan for malware and other potentially
unwanted software.

Just press enter here to run the scan.

Also to get to the same place in the settings area, do the following.

Press Windows key+i, you will land in the search edit box.

Tab one time to the list of the main categories in the settings area.

Press the right arrow key or just press the end key to jump to, update and
security.

Press enter on update and security, tab one time to the list of
sub-catigories under update and security.

Down arrow one time to, windows defender, press enter to open the defender
main window.

*Tip, while in the settings area, pressing the backspace key, will take you
back to the search edit box in settings area, just tab to the list of main
categories.

So as you can see from my example above, typing directly into the search
edit box in the settings area of W-10, is much faster to get to where you
wish to go.

*Remember, after pressing Windows key+i, you will land in the search edit
box, also after pressing enter on a ssub-catigory, you will land in the
search edit box, just tab one time to go to the list of either main or
subcategories.

*Remember the first item of any subcategory is already selected, you can
begin tabbing across the tab controls of that window.

*Always press inser key+tab, to make jaws repeat the tab control, and its
current setting, for you in the settings area.

**Windows key+d or m, takes you to the desktop.

**Windows key+b, takes you to the notification chevron button.

Just press the right arrow key to see all your notification area icons.

*Remember you can press the application key on any icon to open a context
menu of items for that icon.

**Windows key+t, will take you to the first item pinned to the taskbar.

Again just use your right arrow key to go across your pinned items on the
taskbar.

*Press the applications key on any pinned item to open a context menu for
that selected pinned item.

**Windows key+1 through 0, will open, any pinned items on the taskbar.

*For example: Notepad is the third item pinned to my taskbar.

So pressing windows key+3, on the number row, will open notepad.

Also if I am in another program window, if notepad is still opened, pressing
windows key+3, will take me back into the notepad document window.

Now if I want to open another separate notepad document, do the following:

Windows logo key  + Shift + number.

Open the desktop and start a new instance of the app pinned to the taskbar
in the position indicated by the number.

In my case, pressing Windows key+shift+3, will open a new blank document in
notepad.

**Windows key+r, will open the run dialog edit box.

**Windows key+l, locks the keyboard.

Just press the escape key or any other key to bring up the password or the
pin edit box.

Type your password or your pin, you are put right back to where you were
before locking your keyboard.

These are just a few windows key keystroke combonations, read below, for the
complete list of the Windows key keystrokes combonations from Microsoft.

table with 2 columns and 50 rows

Press this key

To do this

Windows logo key

Open or close Start

Windows logo key  + A

Open Action center

Windows logo key  + B

Set focus in the notification area

Windows logo key  + Shift + C

Open Cortana in listening mode

Note: Cortana is available only in certain countries/regions, and some
Cortana features might not be available everywhere. If Cortana isn't
available or is turned off, you can still use

search.

Windows logo key  + D

Display and hide the desktop

Windows logo key  + Alt + D

Display and hide the date and time on the desktop

Windows logo key  + E

Open File Explorer

Windows logo key  + F

Open Feedback Hub

Windows logo key  + G

Open Game bar when a game is open

Windows logo key  + H

Open the Share charm

Windows logo key  + I

Open Settings

Windows logo key  + J

 Set focus to a Windows tip when one is available.

When a Windows tip appears, bring focus to the Tip.  Pressing the keyboard
shortcuts again to bring focus to the element on the screen to which the
Windows tip is anchored.

Windows logo key  + K

Open the Connect quick action

Windows logo key  + L

Lock your PC or switch accounts

Windows logo key  + M

Minimize all windows

Windows logo key  + O

Lock device orientation

Windows logo key  + P

Choose a presentation display mode

Windows logo key  + R

Open the Run dialog box

Windows logo key  + S

Open search

Windows logo key  + T

Cycle through apps on the taskbar

Windows logo key  + U

Open Ease of Access Center

Windows logo key  + V

Cycle through notifications

Windows logo key  + Shift + V

Cycle through notifications in reverse order

Windows logo key  + X

Open the Quick Link menu

Windows logo key  + Z

Show the commands available in an app in full-screen mode

Windows logo key  + comma (,)

Temporarily peek at the desktop

Windows logo key  + Pause

Display the System Properties dialog box

Windows logo key  + Ctrl + F

Search for PCs (if you're on a network)

Windows logo key  + Shift + M

Restore minimized windows on the desktop

Windows logo key  + number

Open the desktop and start the app pinned to the taskbar in the position
indicated by the number. If the app is already running, switch to that app.

Windows logo key  + Shift + number

Open the desktop and start a new instance of the app pinned to the taskbar
in the position indicated by the number

Windows logo key  + Ctrl + number

Open the desktop and switch to the last active window of the app pinned to
the taskbar in the position indicated by the number

Windows logo key  + Alt + number

Open the desktop and open the Jump List for the app pinned to the taskbar in
the position indicated by the number

Windows logo key  + Ctrl + Shift + number

Open the desktop and open a new instance of the app located at the given
position on the taskbar as an administrator

Windows logo key  + Tab

Open Task view

Windows logo key  + Up arrow

Maximize the window

Windows logo key  + Down arrow

Remove current app from screen or minimize the desktop window

Windows logo key  + Left arrow

Maximize the app or desktop window to the left side of the screen

Windows logo key  + Right arrow

Maximize the app or desktop window to the right side of the screen

Windows logo key  + Home

Minimize all except the active desktop window (restores all windows on
second stroke)

Windows logo key  + Shift + Up arrow

Stretch the desktop window to the top and bottom of the screen

Windows logo key  + Shift + Down arrow

Restore/minimize active desktop windows vertically, maintaining width

Windows logo key  + Shift + Left arrow or Right arrow

Move an app or window in the desktop from one monitor to another

Windows logo key  + Spacebar

Switch input language and keyboard layout

Windows logo key  + Ctrl + Spacebar

Change to a previously selected input

Windows logo key  + Enter

Open Narrator

Windows logo key  + forward slash (/)

Begin IME reconversion

Windows logo key  + plus (+) or minus (-)

Zoom in or out using Magnifier

Windows logo key  + Esc

Exit Magnifier

table end