I have been trying to track down this transactional contention, then I ran
into a problem where the spooler eventually hung, after a seemingly random
number of messages.

SpyXAQueueConnection.createXAQueueSession() would not return from
SpyConnection.createReceiver().

SpyConnection.createReceiver() would not return from
DistributedJMSServerUILClient.setSpyDistributedConnection().

DistributedJMSServerUILClient.setSpyDistributedConnection() would not return
from DistributedJMSServerUILClient.waitAnswer().

I spent a few hours adding log messages to track down exactly where it was
hanging and that was the in.readbyte() inside of waitAnswer().  So, next I
looked at the input stream, which is a DemuxInputStream.  I just started
adding debug messages and the re-ran my application againts it and it just
stop happening.  So I am guessing that due to all the io in the log &
System.out messages, the window for the race shrunk a little (or a lot, not
really sure).

Anyways, I am going to see if I can write a test that will reliably cause
this to happen.  I am starting to wish that I never updated my app to use
the JMS resource adapter... so I could still run off of 2.2.x =(

--jason