I think that Mark mentioned that JXTA might be appropriate for this and
I'd like to second it.

If clusters of jboss are distributed all over the place - not just on
dedicated server boxes - then a loosely coupled protocol/service
framework would be ideal.

Setting up known 'rendezvous' points will help to discover and use a
robust port service.

I hope to start adding jxta bits to jboss in about six months time, but
for the moment I'm totally swamped.