Actually to answer my question.
I was able to bind ROOT.war to the / context using a jboss-web.xml file
where I defined / as context.
According to the current documentation I should have been able to do
this without the jboss-web.xml setting though.

Sebastian

'http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd'>
<web-app>
        <welcome-file-list>